Tuesday 8 April 2014

Cheese spread with horseradish and chives (gzik)

In some parts of Poland, they might call this "gzik". However, they'd tell me that real "gzik" is a mixture of cottage cheese, cream and spring onion and that you shouldn't even think of putting horseradish in there!

Well, I'm not Polish so I can get away with the horseradish which, for me, adds a piquant depth to the flavour. I used the finer chives instead of spring onion but I think I'll be forgiven for that at my next confession. 


"Gzik" is often served in Poland with jacket potatoes. However, I've opted for sourdough bread toast. Nice!

Cost per batch (good for around 8-10 slices of toast): 2 zl (0.48 Euro)

Less than the cost of your supermarket cheese spread, eh?

What you need:

- 100g of creamy cottage cheese
- 3 tsp of sour cream or creme fraiche
- 1 tsp horseradish sauce (horseradish whizzed up with clear vinegar)
- 2 tsp finely chopped chives
- a pinch of salt
- a good grind of black pepper

What to do:

1. Put all of the ingredients together in a bowl


2. Mix them up


3. Eat on toast


The cost:

- cottage cheese: 1.50 zl
- cream: 0.50 zl
- the rest: 0.50 zl

Total: 2 zl

No comments:

Post a Comment